Re: Newbie video editing question

30/11/2010 16:28, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> On 11/30/10 01:03, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> apt-file search v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
>>
>> firmware-ivtv: /lib/firmware/v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
>>

> ~$ apt-file search v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
> bash: apt-file: command not found
>
> ~$ apt-cache search v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
> firmware-ivtv - Binary firmware for iTVC15-family MPEG codecs (ivtv and
> pvrusb2 drivers)
>

>> Then a:
>>
>> aptitude search ivtv
>
>> ~$ aptitude search ivtv
> p   firmware-ivtv                                  - Binary firmware for
> iTVC15-family MPEG codecs (ivtv and
> p   ivtv-source                                    - source for ivtv
> drivers (1.0.x branch)
> p   ivtv-utils                                     - utilities for use
> with the ivtv kernel driver
> p   libvideo-ivtv-perl                             - Perl extension for
> using V4l2 in the ivtv perl scripts
> p   xserver-xorg-video-ivtv                        - X.Org X server --
> IVTV display driver
> p   xserver-xorg-video-ivtv-dbg                    - X.Org X server --
> IVTV display driver (debug symbols)
>

> ~$ ls /lib/firmware
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Apr  5  2010 av7110
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Apr  5  2010 cis
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Apr  5  2010 dsp56k
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Apr  5  2010 keyspan_pda
>

>> should put you on the right track.
>

> I assume that I should install firmware-ivtv.  What about ivtv-tools?
> Does it have anything necessary?  Useful?
>

> Marc

Sorry, I answered in a hurry in between two other things. "apt-file" is
a tool you have you to install separately, it's useful for searching
what package a file belongs to even if the package isn't installed.
Given the messages you get you definitely need the firmware package
"firmware-ivtv". Installing ivtv-tools is probably a good idea, it will
let you access and set some options on the card ("talk" to the card from
the command line). As usual "man ivtv-tools" is a good starting point.
I don't own such hardware so I cannot help you with the specific of this
card.