Newbie video editing question

First off, I'm a video editing newbie. Not a linux newbie. I've been running Debian since Bo.

I have a lot of video tapes lying around and I am afraid they will degrade over time. Also, since they are not making tapes any more (or VCRs?) I expect it will be difficult to repair my two VCRs when they start to die on me. So I want to convert my analog tapes to digital files while I can and write them out to DVD.

When I mentioned this to a friend, he pulled out a WinTV card, using a Hauppauge PVR-250. Are there drivers for this in the standard kernel tree, or do I need to get them from somewhere?

Also, what is the best capture and editing software for a newbie with minimal needs. No flame wars, please. I know that Cinelerra is available, but I don't know what else there is, or how easy they are to use. For now all I really need to do is capture the analog signal from a VCR and save it to a file. Then I want to edit out the commercials, possibly combine multiple files, and then save the resulting file to a dvd iso that can be mounted directly and played back, or written to a dvd.

Marc Shapiro