Re: grub boot control from an usb-keyboard.

Dne, 24. 11. 2010 19:34:38 je Sthu Deus napisal(a):
This is what I have now at the place in the file:

  set gfxmode=640x480
  insmod gfxterm
  insmod vbe
  insmod uhci
  insmod usb_keyboard
  terminal_input usb_keyboard
  terminal gfxterm

Is it correct? - For now it works not - but I set 1 sec to wait - so I
will try latter w/ larger period.

As far as I can tell, it should be OK. If I were you, I would set that to at least 10 seconds until it works, then, once I got it working, I'd set it back to 1 sec.

Save the file, run update-grub (as root again), and reboot.

I have two similar files here:

update-grub and
update-grub2

should I use the first one only? - Can You shed some light here?

I *think* the second one should be just a softlink to the second one, or vice versa. I'd try running the first one and then check whether /boot/grub/grub.cfg has changed. If I remember right, it should now have the new insmod commands somewhere (it's what update-grub does, essentially -- it parses the various scripts in /etc/grub.d and builds the new /boot/grub/grub.cfg from them).

How I do update my grub2 configuration is

/usr/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda

You shouldn't have to do that anymore. That was only needed the first time you installed Grub2 onto your MBR; given that you obviously have Grub installed now, you only need to run 'update-grub'. That will re-configure Grub in a relatively safe way, that is, without re-installing it. So, I wouldn't reccommend running grub-install, no.

Again, what we're doing here is pretty much guesswork, so there's no guarantee we will be able to make it work. But there's no harm in trying, right?

P.S. Sorry for the messed-up formatting, my mail client is having a fit.
--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.