Re: grub boot control from an usb-keyboard.

Dne, 24. 11. 2010 17:08:06 je Sthu Deus napisal(a):
Thank You for Your time and answer, Klistvud:

> Grub2: http://grub.enbug.org/USBSupport

Sorry, my fault - I did not specify grub's version - it is 2 (1.98,
exactly).

I did not understand - can You explain a bit what is the command line
(used in grub.cfg file) for the kernel to use the USB-keyboard?

- They say that I need to use the parameters at the grub's prompt - but this is my goal to use USB-keyboard as soon as the menu appears - w/o
  at the first use built-in keyboard, then - the USB-one.

I just skimmed over the link I gave you. I thought it was dealing with Grub configuration files, but now I see it's not ...
Essentially, what you want to do is enter the specified commands

insmod uhci; insmod usb_keyboard; terminal_input usb_keyboard

into your Grub2 configuration files, specifically into /etc/grub.d/00_header. In that file, you'll find listed the Grub modules that get loaded when Grub starts (around line 47 on my system). There, (as root) add the three above commands to the existing ones, thus:

insmod gfxterm
insmod vbe
insmod uhci
insmod usb_keyboard
insmod terminal_input usb_keyboard

Save the file, run update-grub (as root again), and reboot.

Disclaimer: while the above commands should work, there's a good chance they won't, and I've not tested them personally. Grub2 is still under heavy development, and the documentation is more or less "in fieri". There are some reports that USB support in Grub2 is not complete (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/432276). In addition, the Grub2 version shipped with Lenny is a bit long in the tooth. You'd possibly have more luck if you were using Squeeze.

--
Good luck,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.