Re: Frustration made me do it.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 21:37:32 -0800
Dan Serban <dserban@lodgingcompany.com> wrote:

> After years of running the mozilla suite (remember when you couldn't
> refresh a POST document in mozilla 0.6?) and begrudgingly moving to
> Firefox, then falling in love with iceweasel.  Today, sad as it is,
> is when I feel that I must announce that I decided to:
>
> # aptitude purge iceweasel icedove
>
> I will spare you the minute details for my decision, but I
> assume most of you experience the same frustrations I do.  The
> increasing bloat, the never enough memory (16gb real, 32gb swap) being
> happily claimed by a single tab and xul-runner eating it all.
>
> Icedove likes to make my computer behave like a 386 (downloading
> and indexing millions of IMAP messages..  heck, it's _why_ I use IMAP
> :/).

I know that feeling, Icedove was so to index my inbox, and even slower
when it was all there! (5 years of gmail junk, 2089MB, 18542msgs,
excluding stuff not in the "inbox").

> I now have chromium and claws at my beck and call.  Man.. are they
> ever fast.

Claw mail is pretty dam fast, I havent bothered to learn the search
function very well yet, but meh.

And with the right plugins, from the repo, it does HTML email, and RSS
like a champion. (and pgp of cause)

And chrome/chromeium is so much faster than FF3.x that it hurts,
hopefully 4.x fixes it a bit.

> Just thought I'd make some noise and share, I feel so free.  \o/

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User	PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97