Re: Load_Cycle_Count to stop growing.

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 22:23:09 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>> JFYI (from my notebook):
>>

>> 9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   049   049   000    Old_age Always
>>    -       20456 193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   074 074   000
>> Old_age   Always       -       261161 194 Temperature_Celsius
>> 0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age Always       -       37 (Lifetime
>> Min/Max 21/52)
>
> From here
>
> http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/230272-
load_cycle_count-600000-bad.html

> if I have learned the truth, spinning up/down is not shown by
> Load_Cycle_Count parameter - but by Start_Stop_Count - in which case I
> have not to worry, for it stands the same while running.

Well... in fact that SMART value (load_cycle_count) is what you think:

***
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

193, C1, Load Cycle Count, Load/Unload Cycle Count (Fujitsu), Lower
Count of load/unload cycles into head landing zone position.[14]

The typical lifetime rating for laptop (2.5-in) hard drives is 300,000 to
600,000 load cycles.[15] Some laptop drives are programmed to unload the
heads whenever there has not been any activity for about five seconds.
[16] Many Linux installations write to the file system a few times a
minute in the background.[17] As a result, there may be 100 or more load
cycles per hour, and the load cycle rating may be exceeded in less than a
year.[18]

4 04 Start/Stop Count
A tally of spindle start/stop cycles. The spindle turns on, and hence the
count is increased, both when the hard disk is turned on after having
before been turned entirely off (disconnected from power source) and when
the hard disk returns from having previously been put to sleep mode.[11]
***

Good, bad...? Who knows. Nowadays every hard disk manufacturer applies
different strategies within the hard disk firmware for power savings.
Note that "start/stop count" parameter does not have a "best rating"
value (nor lower/higher are better, is just an "informative" field).

SMART test has to be interpreted in whole (there are values that are more
important than others) but I would not care much if there is no other
sign indicating that something wrong is goin to happen.

> But it is bad that it loads the head all the time. - Though I do not
> know if it worth (I think it does as my computer is on sure surface) -
> to tune it so that it will be flying all the time, or it is unwise?

I would contact your hard disk manufacturer and ask about this value (if
you provide them the full SMART test results, better). They will tell you
if there is is something to worry about or if this is just the normal
behaviour.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón