Re: Load_Cycle_Count to stop growing.

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:09:08 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Good day.
>
> I have some trouble with growing number of
>
> Load_Cycle_Count
>
> parameter of my HDD. And the
>
> Temperature_Celsius
>
> as well. - Shown by smartctl utility.

And what are those "offending" values"? :-)

> So, my question is, How I can stop it spin down? - As I do understand,
> w/ the help of sdparm utility (it is SATA drive).
>
> Or may returm to the manufacturer defaults of the drive if any? - As I
> tried before to play w/ laptop-mode-tools package, and I did not like
> the results.
>
> Or where I can look for a utility that spins it down? In the BIOS I saw
> no option for spinning it down - so it is out of culprit list.

There some documents about that (load_cycle_count), you can review them
here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop#Hard_drive_spin_down_problem
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi-support/+bug/59695

As per temperature, some hard disk manufacturers read raw values and not
normalized, just be sure you are reading/interpreting in the right manner:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/FAQ#Whyismydisktemperaturesreportedbysmartdas150Celsius

Besides, is hard disk the only device getting warm? Maybe you are facing
a general cooling problem? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón