Re: Second display as dedicated desktop workspace?

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:37:13PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:11:11 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> > What I would really like to do is have the second display tied to the
> > login session of the first display but as a separate workspace.  In
> > other words, when logged in I could set it to workspace 5 while I use
> > 1-4 on my main display.  In other words, I'd like to keep a couple of
> > applications visible/running on the second display while I do whatever
> > on the first.  Is such an arrangement even possible?  Has no one else
> > thought of this before?
>
> I dunno how that adapter works (and it's quite expensive and low
> performance! wouldn't have been better to replace your current VGA card
> with a new one featuring 2 VGA outputs? :-?) but if I understood you
> correctly, you are looking for a Xinerama/Dual view separate layout, what
> is quiteeasy to get from one VGA card with dual outputs.
>
> The problem I see here is to understand how Xorg sees the USB adapter and
> how could you configure a dual view setup with that device or even
> whether if it is possible to achieve that (I'm not sure Xorg can manage
> two separate VGA adapters and join both desktops but run as independent
> screens).

This used to be a simple matter of proper xorg configuration. I
don't know if it still applies, but basically:

Add a second "Device" section for your new adapter. Let's say
the identifier is "USBadapter".

Add a second "Monitor" section for the attached monitor.
Identifier is "Monitor2".

Add a new "Screen" section:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Second Screen"
	Device "USBadapter"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
		Virtual 	1280	1024 # or whatever
	EndSubSection
EndSection

and finally, modify your section "ServerLayout" to add this
line:

	Screen "Second Screen" RightOf "Default Screen" # or
LeftOf, or Above or Below

Restart X, and it ought to be good.

You may need to increase your default Virtual to encompass both
screens.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.