Re: Second display as dedicated desktop workspace?

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:11:11 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:

(...)

> What I would really like to do is have the second display tied to the
> login session of the first display but as a separate workspace.  In
> other words, when logged in I could set it to workspace 5 while I use
> 1-4 on my main display.  In other words, I'd like to keep a couple of
> applications visible/running on the second display while I do whatever
> on the first.  Is such an arrangement even possible?  Has no one else
> thought of this before?

I dunno how that adapter works (and it's quite expensive and low
performance! wouldn't have been better to replace your current VGA card
with a new one featuring 2 VGA outputs? :-?) but if I understood you
correctly, you are looking for a Xinerama/Dual view separate layout, what
is quiteeasy to get from one VGA card with dual outputs.

The problem I see here is to understand how Xorg sees the USB adapter and
how could you configure a dual view setup with that device or even
whether if it is possible to achieve that (I'm not sure Xorg can manage
two separate VGA adapters and join both desktops but run as independent
screens).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón