Re: Second display as dedicated desktop workspace?

* On 2010 12 Nov 06:38 -0600, Camaleón wrote:
> I dunno how that adapter works (and it's quite expensive and low
> performance! wouldn't have been better to replace your current VGA card
> with a new one featuring 2 VGA outputs? :-?) but if I understood you
> correctly, you are looking for a Xinerama/Dual view separate layout, what
> is quiteeasy to get from one VGA card with dual outputs.
>
> The problem I see here is to understand how Xorg sees the USB adapter and
> how could you configure a dual view setup with that device or even
> whether if it is possible to achieve that (I'm not sure Xorg can manage
> two separate VGA adapters and join both desktops but run as independent
> screens).

Actually, I swerved into getting it working this morning.  No, it's not
ideal, and yes, a dual head card may have been a better choice, but I
got this at a fairly reasonable price.

Anyway, I have specified all devices in xorg.conf now and have the
USB2VGA display as "Screen 1" to the right of the main display.  XFCE
treats it as a separate workspace and switching workspaces on the main
display ("Screen 0") has no effect on it, exactly as I want.  The only
problem is that its slowness does show when running a program that
continuously updates the screen (Fldigi) but other software does not
have a problem.

Thanks for the reply.

- Nate >>