Re: Older Toshiba won't restart only halt

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:55:13 -0500, Stephen Fishpaste wrote:

> I've had this issue for some time with this laptop through the various
> incarnations of Debian. This is a Toshiba Satellite 1800 circa 2004 with
> maxed out ram 512 Mb and it runs just fine with LXDE on it. Presently
> I'm running Squeeze, with proposed Sid updates.

Already reported... but no clear solution:

Toshiba Satellite 1800 freezes on restart (that is when Restarting System
now appears)

> I've never been able to 'restart' the damn thing. halt -p works fine but
> I always have to shutdown and then manually start up again. A pain in
> the arse for kernel upgrades. 8>D
>
> Any suggestions as to what I need to do to fix this? Don't have this
> problem with other laptops of the same era that I've installed Debian on
> either.

How are you calling the restart, manually by "shutdown -r now" or by
using LXDE tools? Anything at the logs?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón