Older Toshiba won't restart only halt

Greetings!

I've had this issue for some time with this laptop through the various
incarnations of Debian. This is a Toshiba Satellite 1800 circa 2004
with maxed out ram 512 Mb and it runs just fine with LXDE on it.
Presently I'm running Squeeze, with proposed Sid updates.

I've never been able to 'restart' the damn thing. halt -p works fine
but I always have to shutdown and then manually start up again. A pain
in the arse for kernel upgrades. 8>D

Any suggestions as to what I need to do to fix this? Don't have this
problem with other laptops of the same era that I've installed Debian
on either.

Cheers & thanks!