Re: Movemail not getting emails

Paul Cartwright put forth on 11/8/2010 10:02 AM:
> On 11/08/2010 10:42 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> If you're using Dovecot, simply configure Postfix to use Dovecot LDA.
>> Simple.
> Camaleon got it.. I had the right line in postfix/main.cf:
> home_mailbox = Maildir/
>

> but I had to comment out this line:
> #mailbox_command = procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
>
> now it works. now email comes into Debian, and goes to my IMAP inbox.
> Now I can use thunderbird on my desktop, thunderbird on my laptop, or
> squirrelmail anywhere.. perfect.

If you are indeed using Dovecot (I can't recall what you said), you're
better off using:

mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver

and commenting #home_mailbox = Maildir/

There are a couple of reasons for this:

1.  Deliver is Dovecots native LDA
    it updates your Dovecot index files during delivery
    instead of waiting until you access the mailbox
2.  If you use, or plan to use Sieve (and ManageSieve)
    LDA will will automatically sort your mails for you
    This is very handy if you run webmail because
    your emails are sorted automatically whether you
    log into webmail or fire up Thunderbird

I use Postfix+Dovecot+LDA+Sieve+Lighttpd+Roundcube and it works
beautifully.  I don't use ManageSieve however.  I write Sieve scripts
manually.

--
Stan