Re: HP Laserjet not printing.

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 02:32:04 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Camaleón put forth on 11/8/2010 1:58 AM:
>> On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:36:31 +0400, Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
>>
>>> Well the whole problem was HP "Smart" install which comes with this
>>> printer because of this Laserjet registers itself as storage deivce
>>> under Debian.
>>>
>>> Only way to fix this is to disable this HP Smart install feature from
>>> Windows: Go to UTIL folder in the CD that came with printer and run
>>> SIUtility.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Wow... and how does one setup this printer if running only Linux >:-?
>
> Now that he owns this printer, deleting the USB config files and adding
> a TCP/IP print server would likely fix the problem, for an extra $40-50
> USD or so.

I'm afraid the printer itself costs more or less that.

Anyway, it should work out of the box under linux, and if not, HP has to
correct the information displayed in the webpage because is misleading.

> This is just one of the reasons I always recommend purchasing network
> enabled printers for use with Linux instead of USB.  For another $40-50
> USD he could have had a Brother, Lexmark, Samsung mono laser with a
> built in ethernet print server.  You don't get these USB device
> identification problems with network printers.
>
> Matter of fact, I recommend network printers for Windows home users as
> well, since most homes have more than 1 PC needing to print these days.

Yes, I also like ethernet based devices but they are costly and not
affordable for everyone.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón