Size of minimal Debian installation

I have a minimal Debian installation on a 2 GB VirtualBox hard drive.  By minimal, I mean the 150 MB Netinstall ISO without any of the packages (not even the "base" system) I was given the option to install during the initial installation process.  And I haven't even added anything yet.

When I go to the / directory and type "du -s", I get 355960, or nearly 360 MB.  I'm using a dynamic (rather than fixed) hard drive, and its size is 601 MB.

How can Debian with nothing added on be almost triple the size of Puppy Linux?  I've heard that Debian can be configured to be just as light or even lighter than Puppy Linux.

And do Debian and the host OS show different sizes for my virtual Debian installation?  Why is there a 241 MB difference?  The error is almost double the size of Puppy Linux.

--
Jason Hsu, Linux-literate embedded engineer
(952) 715-7661