Re: Size of minimal Debian installation

On 10/30/2010 9:49 AM, Jason Hsu, embedded engineer, Linux user wrote:
> I have a minimal Debian installation on a 2 GB VirtualBox hard drive.  By minimal, I mean the 150 MB Netinstall ISO without any of the packages (not even the "base" system) I was given the option to install during the initial installation process.  And I haven't even added anything yet.

There's "minimal" and then there's /minimal/. Debian's netinst does add
some things, and some of the additions can be a bit awkward. For one,
the "Base System" package actually adds quite a bit.

Here's the biggest hogs:
gcc and friends
manpages (Puppy iirc uses none)
initrd/kernel (puppy uses a REALLY stripped down kernel and a REALLY
well compressed one at that)
kernel modules (there's some added overhead)
apt's cache
any and all graphical environments.

> When I go to the / directory and type "du -s", I get 355960, or nearly 360 MB.

Sounds about right for the netinst's defaults.

> I'm using a dynamic (rather than fixed) hard drive, and its size is
601 MB.

Sounds like your VM is playing games. "Dynamic" usually means there's
more accounting to do.

> How can Debian with nothing added on be almost triple the size of Puppy Linux?  I've heard that Debian can be configured to be just as light or even lighter than Puppy Linux.

Puppy pales in comparison to TinyCore (10MB with X and a wm and a
package manager)

> And do Debian and the host OS show different sizes for my virtual Debian installation?  Why is there a 241 MB difference?  The error is almost double the size of Puppy Linux.

I again call shenanigans on your VM.

--

Morgan Gangwere

PGP Key at http://indrora.homelinux.org/gpg_key.asc