Re: Size of minimal Debian installation

Hi,

Before reading following lines, I want to remind you that official
Debian GNU/Linux installation is not optimized for constrained space
requirements, where Puppy Linux is. Consider manual pages, lots of
automation related scripts all around the place, a full featured libc
(consider uclibc), dozens of optional modules added for flexibility to
"all" userbase. (E.g. It is funny that gnupg depends on libusb, etc.)

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, "Jason Hsu" <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com> writes:
> I have a minimal Debian installation on a 2 GB VirtualBox hard drive.
> By minimal, I mean the 150 MB Netinstall ISO without any of the
> packages (not even the "base" system) I was given the option to
> install during the initial installation process. And I haven't even
> added anything yet.
>
> When I go to the / directory and type "du -s", I get 355960, or nearly
> 360 MB. I'm using a dynamic (rather than fixed) hard drive, and its
> size is 601 MB.

Try

- aptitude clean

- Purge removed packages.

- Do not select any packages during installation. (Neither "Standard
  System", etc.)

- After installation, remove unnecessary packages as well. (For
  instance, laptop-detect, tasksel, tasksel-data, eject, etc.)

- "du -sh /*" for more clues.

> How can Debian with nothing added on be almost triple the size of
> Puppy Linux? I've heard that Debian can be configured to be just as
> light or even lighter than Puppy Linux.

Yes it can. Google would probably help with some keyword adjustments.

> And do Debian and the host OS show different sizes for my virtual
> Debian installation?  Why is there a 241 MB difference?  The error is
> almost double the size of Puppy Linux.

This is due to the previously used space while downloading &
uncompressing .deb packages. Filesystem is extended to handle new size
requirements. After installation, these requirements are possibly
disappeared. But filesystem was once extended, and VM just displays its
extended size. Try creating a huge file and removing it. VM will still
display the max. size of the extended fs and won't be affected by the
removal of the same file.

Regards.