Re: [OT] Re: Toner refill

>> In<[🔎] 4CC91EEF.5010704@hardwarefreak.com>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>>
>>> Camaleón put forth on 10/27/2010 1:05 PM:

>>> There is no reason to avoid these Camaleón.  They work just fine.  The
>>> only difference is that ZERO of the profit goes to the printer
>>> manufacturer.
>>
>> I suggest against using toner or ink jet cartridges that are not certified
>> by
>> the printer manufacturer since my experience has shown them to be inferior
>> products.  Most often, they over-saturate the page leading to streak,
>> smears,
>> or even splotches and lower effective DPI.
>>
>> Refilled / recycled cartridges are a different story.  It depends on the
>> refill method, but they usually work just as well as new cartridges.
>
> Some years ago, I had a color ink-jet printer from Epson.  When it ran dry,
> I refilled the ink reservoirs from one of the cheapie refill suppliers.  The
> "ink" clogged up the ink-jets, and since they were
> inaccessible, I had to throw the printer away.  It was only a few months
> old.
>
> There are probably two morals to this story:
> 1. Use the manufacturer's replacement supplies.
> 2. Consider using HP printers.  Both their ink-jets and their lasers
> replace all the major parts when replacing the supplies.  It's more
> expensive, but it['s as near fool-proof as I can think of.
> (I have no financial interest in HP.)

I had a bad experience with an HP colour laser printer.  First, the
design of the printer is such that, over time, dust settles on the
mirrors used by the laser beam and the whole thing has to be
dismantled for cleaning (there's stuff on the web about this).
Second, if you use compatible toner cartridges, they work OK while
they are full.  As they get close to empty (a) the calibration does
not work properly so the colours don't line up, (b) toner gets spread
over each page (especially in duplex mode) so each page comes out with
a delicate mottled effect (cleaning the belts does not help).  Third,
the printer signals to replace all cartridges when one of them gets
down to 10% full - this can be over-ridden if you are really familiar
with the embedded software.  I finished up junking the printer and
buying a new colour laser for about the cost of a complete set of HP
toner cartridges.

Rob Hurle

--
Rob Hurle