Re: [OT] Re: Toner refill

In <[🔎] 4CC91EEF.5010704@hardwarefreak.com>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>Camaleón put forth on 10/27/2010 1:05 PM:
>> There
>> are also "compatible" toner cartridges at lower prices, which I would
>> also avoid :-)
>
>There is no reason to avoid these Camaleón.  They work just fine.  The
>only difference is that ZERO of the profit goes to the printer manufacturer.
>
>One of the tenets of FOSS is a free or low cost alternative to
>commercial software.

Free Software has *never* been about cost.  It is about the freedoms to use,
study, and modify the software.  During the early years, the GNU project ran
on profits from selling EMACS and the GNU GPL is specifically worded to allow
commercial distribution of the software licensed under it.  Licenses which do
not allow commercial distribution are not DSFG-free.

I suggest against using toner or ink jet cartridges that are not certified by
the printer manufacturer since my experience has shown them to be inferior
products.  Most often, they over-saturate the page leading to streak, smears,
or even splotches and lower effective DPI.

Refilled / recycled cartridges are a different story.  It depends on the
refill method, but they usually work just as well as new cartridges.