RARP; was Re (3): arp and /etc/ethers

From:	Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Date:	Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:24:34 -0600
> It is very unusual to need to manually set entries in the arp table.

Here's the bigger picture.  I'm working to install NetBSD on the old Sparcstation 2
using netboot.  In the first step, the SS2 should get it's IP address from a Debian server
by means of RARP.  Back at the end of July it was no trouble.  Now the the SS2 console
reports no ARP/RARP response.  I wonder whether this situation is consequent to an
update in Squeeze or to a configuration detail I've overlooked.  My question about
arp and /etc/ethers is from troubleshooting RARP.  If the server hasn't noticed
/etc/ethers I don't expect it to give the RARP response.

The other day I noticed this.
=============================
# From: MartA-n Ferrari <tincho@debian.or.>
# Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:30:18 -0300
 * rarp should be dropped, as the linux kernel doesn't support it
anymore, since the 2.3 series. The replacement, arpd, is already
included in iproute.
Can arpd also provide RARP?  Is rarpd unnecessary now?

Is anyone currently using RARP and netbooting from a Debian Squeeze?  Any tips?

Thanks,          ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.  7785886232 is gone.
Shop pages http://carnot.yi.org/ accessible as long as the old