Re: Re (2): arp and /etc/ethers

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
>> 'man arp' has no mention of a configuration file.  How should
>> arp reference /etc/ethers automatically at startup?
>> My question was worded badly.  I want 'arp -f /etc/ethers' to happen
>> automatically at startup. Should it be put in /etc/initab or where?
>
> It is very unusual to need to manually set entries in the arp table.
>
> In any case, the full approach would be to create a boot time startup
> script in /etc/init.d/arp_local or some such to perform this task.
> The file /etc/init.d/skeleton is provided as a template and may be
> copied and then modified as needed. After that has been copied to
> /etc/init.d/arp_local and edited appropriately then the startup links
> can be created with '# update-rc.d arp_local defaults'.

The full approach is definitely better than using "/etc/rc.local" even
if it's more involved. I've lost track whether this thread's about
Lenny or Squeeze/Sid but for Lenny the above is straightforward. For
Squeeze/Sid, you have to take dependency-boot into account when
creating an "/etc/init.d" script. In this case, it might be as trivial
as making the script depend on the network being up ("Required-Start:
$network"?) but, at least for me, it's new territory.