Re: Squeeze X broken on Inspiron 8500--how to report bug

> As I explained in that bug report, it's an incompatibility between the
> Squeeze kernel and Lenny userland.  Unfortunately, there is no way to
> express this in package conflicts to ensure that it does not occur on
> partial upgrades.

Okay, so I'm clear:
You're saying the Lenny xserver-xorg-video-nv is incompatible with the squeeze
kernel?
The thing that threw me off is that this incompatibility only manifests itself
if the squeeze udev is installed.  It doesn't occur with lenny udev.
Also... the Lenny xserver-xorg-video-nv is similarly incompatible with the
lenny-backports kernel, but that's a tangent.

Also... if I upgrade xserver-xorg-video-nv to squeeze, then my situation
improves to "X refuses to run", and I have to reboot to fix it.

I don't think I have a custom kernel/udev/boot configuration.  Is this problem
going to happen to everyone who tries to run squeeze on an Inspiron 8500?
Everyone who tries to run squeeze on a nvidia system?

Right now this looks like a "Squeeze doesn't really support the Inspiron 8500"
problem.  Is the Inspiron 8500 the type of machine that debian would like to
support?  Granted, it is pretty old.

I wouldn't disagree at all with lowering this bug report to "feature request"
or reassigning it to a different package, but it seems like the current
situation for the Inspiron 8500 (and other nvidia systems?) is sub-optimal,
and sub-optimal, to me, means "bug report".

PS... I don't have xserver-xorg-video-all or xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
installed on the machine.  Is that a factor?  Am I using the wrong X video
driver?