Re: Squeeze X broken on Inspiron 8500--how to report bug

On 2010-10-24 21:17 +0200, Brian Sammon wrote:

> I entered a bug that upgrading udev from lenny to unstable breaks X.  (It also
> breaks with the squeeze version of udev )
> ( http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=600551 )
>
> The bug was closed without any changes to the package, or any other package.

As I explained in that bug report, it's an incompatibility between the
Squeeze kernel and Lenny userland.  Unfortunately, there is no way to
express this in package conflicts to ensure that it does not occur on
partial upgrades.

> While I've found a workaround, I'm concerned that this problem means that
> Squeeze and X will not work out of the box for other people using an Inspiron
> 8500.
>
> What do I do now?

Upgrade your *xorg-* packages, including xserver-xorg-video-all, to the
Squeeze version and move /etc/X11/xorg.conf out of the way.  Ensure that
the 2.6.32-5 kernel is booted *without* the "nomodeset" and
"nouveau.modeset=0" parameters.  If X still does not work correctly
after that, file a bug report against the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
package.

Sven