Re: scrollbar on left side

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 21:17, Chris Davies <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> Which is why usability testing is (should be) so important. Preferably
> at the prototype/design stage rather than as an afterthought just
> before release.

Are you kidding? In reference to KDE, at least, I have stopped
providing usability feedback (and I have lots of Joe Everyday users
from neighbours to fellow students to my mother in law) because their
"usability expert" or whatever insists that users cannot report on
what they want or need because they do not understand. I'll look up
her exact words if you want. I've filed literally tens of usability
bugs on KDE (I've filed or triaged over 1500 bugs for KDE altogether)
and she closes them with "we're not considering that now" and other
such nonsense. What's even funnier is that, independantly of my
reporting the issues and having them closed WONTFIX, that some months
later the features arrive in KDE from devs from their own accord (such
as Windows 7 style window dragging), or the universal app menu. I
reported a dozen usability issues on the new KAddressbook alone, all
of which were ignored and then the app was release feature-incomplete
to users in KDE SC 4.4 "in order to receive wider feedback".

I'll happily post bug numbers if anyone is interested.

Until they get rid of their "learned Usability in some obsure
university" usability expert, or at least until she starts accepting
usability concerns from those who have engineering degrees and not
"Usability" degrees, I won't be wasting my time reporting KDE
usability issues anymore.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il