Re: change in behavior of iptables with respect to firestarter

On 10/22/2010 07:42 PM, Greg Madden wrote:

On Friday 22 October 2010 14:57:15 Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
On 10/22/2010 06:00 PM, Greg Madden wrote:
On Friday 22 October 2010 11:00:40 Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
Does this have something to do with Firestarter being started (or not
started) at different run levels during startup? I briefly see something
about it scrolling by, but I never get a chance to read it.

You can use 'dmesg |grep<service/>   ' to see what happens during boot.

Hi,

Many thanks for the idea.

I get no result from any variation of "fire I can think of to substitute
for<service/>.

I had already pored over dmesg to see if I could find anything, and it
was to no avail. (I really have to get off my lazy behind and start
studying things like use of grep with the logs.)

As I said to Rob, I'm thinking I've got a "project" for the weekend.

Ouch! The wife just saw me type that!

Regards,
Gilbert

'firestarter' has a script in '/etc/init.d' and gets started by a link in a run
level, check that out.

As mentioned 'iptables -L' will show if it gets started. This is independent of
whether or not the 'firestarter' gui is used.

Hi,

Yes, as suggested by Rob Owens I ran

# /etc/init.d/firestarter start

and the firewall started, with iptables showing the proper behavior when I issued the "iptables -L" command.

So it seems, for some reason, that the script isn't being run at startup. Whether it's due to it not being called at all or whether it's due to something else is beyond me right now. I've been a couple of days without sleep (because of issues utterly unrelated to this), and I've got to get to sleep.

But, right now, it looks to me as though the system simply hasn't been asked to start firestarter (if I can trust my very tired brain)! Otherwise, I'd imagine that I would have seen error messages somewhere.

It's beyond my ability to comprehend right now. I'll try to tackle this again in a few hours when I've had some sleep.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
Gilbert