Re: troubleshooting slow disk writes on squeeze.

Siju George put forth on 10/20/2010 7:20 AM:
> Thanks for your replies Bob, Stan and Karl :-)
>
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

>> You just installed Squeeze on this system 4 days ago.

> no

Ok, let me rephrase.  At the time I typed that, you had replaced your
Linux kernel only 4 days prior to asking for help here with your
performance issue:

Linux rv1 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Oct 15 00:56:30 UTC 2010 x86_64
GNU/Linux

Your current kernel was installed on Oct 15 00:56:30.  This was the
reason for my questions.  Given that it looks like the default kernel
rev for Squeeze, I assumed you had not simply replaced the kernel
recently, but had in fact just installed/upgraded to Squeeze.

*The timing of your performance problems coincides with the date of this
kernel replacement*

> This system has been running on Lenny for over 8 months now.
> On Sept 16th I upgraded it to Squeeze.
> And things were fine untill 2-3 days.
>
>> If you just performed a dist upgrade 4 days ago, that is _extremely_
>> relevant information, and you should have shared that in your original post.
>
> After the upgrade from lenny to squeeze it was working fine for almost
> a month so i did not consider it relevant :-(

This is a critical point.  If you did not replace your kernel manually,
or automatically via a cron job etc, on Oct 15, then who did, and why?

To be sure I'm not all wet here, check the date stamp on your current
vmlinuz- file.  It should match the date/time of the uname -a output.

Did someone replace your kernel without your knowledge?  If so, you've
found your problem.

--
Stan