Re: troubleshooting slow disk writes on squeeze.

Thanks for your replies Bob, Stan and Karl :-)

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> Siju George put forth on 10/19/2010 7:16 AM:
> Define "recently".

2-3 days back

> You just installed Squeeze on this system 4 days ago.

>Four days isn't
> sufficient to say a system _was_ running fine and now is slow.  Did you
> upgrade this box from Lenny to Squeeze 4 days ago?  Are you saying it
> ran fine before the distribution upgrade but afterward it is slow?

This system has been running on Lenny for over 8 months now.
On Sept 16th I upgraded it to Squeeze.
And things were fine untill 2-3 days.

> If you just performed a dist upgrade 4 days ago, that is _extremely_
> relevant information, and you should have shared that in your original post.

After the upgrade from lenny to squeeze it was working fine for almost
a month so i did not consider it relevant :-(

> You have made the nubie mistake of offering far too little information
> about your system details, and more importantly, the system's history.
> Give us all the details, and we might be able to help.  At this point in
> time, you've provided zero relevant information that would allow us to
> help solve your problem.

I will give you the other details that was asked for thanks :-)

> If this is a brand new machine/Squeeze install, not an upgrade from
> Lenny, there are any number of things that could be causing this
> perceived slow write problem.  For instance, a bad/flaky TIM junction
> between the CPU and heatsink or a defective CPU fan could be causing
> thermal throttling.  If the proper modules aren't installed, you'll
> never see anything in your logs pointing to this as the cause.

ok , thanks for the info :-)

> Please post complete dmesg output so we can at least get an idea of the
> hardware specifics of this machine and see what the installed kernel
> thinks about your hardware.  Whatever your problem is it is at a low
> level, and systemic as it affects shell applications as well as network
> applications.

Now that I know what the relevant information are I will give them to you :-)

The dmesg

$vmstat 5 output

thanks for offering to help :-D