Re: ping packet loss when size gt 1500

Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> I have a question about traceroute that might be relevant. I haven't
> figured out the traceroute options because on lenny, my traceroute
> doesn't complete. The last hop to mktgw1.ibllc.com doesn't show - it
> just counts stars up to 30. But on windows it does complete at 23 -
> where mktgw1.ibllc.com is the last hop / target. Does this betray
> anything?

Traceroute on Linux and Windows platforms typically use different packet
types. IIRC, tracert uses ICMP 8 (ping) whereas traceroute uses UDP. My
flavour of traceroute accepts the -I flag to force ICMP 8.

My version of traceroute also has the --mtu option, which tries to
determine the MTU for the route being traced. It looks perhaps like the
firewall for interactivebrokers (IP 208.192.181.62) *may* be blocking too
many ICMP control message types - including the MTU/Fragment messages.

Chris