Re: ping packet loss when size gt 1500

Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the info. I guess it tells me there's nothing definitely
> wrong.

MTU is a per-link value, and the smallest MTU determines the MTU
for all hops that the packet travels between client and server. If
something between the client and server eats the ICMP messages that say
"you're sending packets that are too large - my MTU's only XYZ" then
you will see this kind of problem, and there's definitely something
wrong. Misconfigured firewalls are typical culprits in such instances.

You should not have to reduce your MTU to reach a particular server.

Chris