Re: Partitioning a drive with Windows 7 already installed

On 10/13/2010 9:25 AM, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 00:24 +0200, Ogya Chief wrote:

I have Win 7 home premium. I will find out what tools for
partitioning/backup came with it and decide on my next course of
action.

Windows comes with a resizer:  right click on "my computer">  manage
diskmanager.  The next step is fuzzy in my memory:  right click on the
drive>  reszie?  Windows will now resize the partition, reboot and run
chck disk if needed first, reboot, re-run chck disk.  This eliminates
the need for manual intervention to ensure your NTFS is in a state that
can safely shrink.  Windows will also not allow you to shrink the
partition smaller then the data will fit on.

Windows is finicky about what you can do to the "system partition", however, this is worth trying, since, in principle, no utility would be more suitable than Windows' own.