Re: KDE Question

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 19:38, Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> wrote:
> On Tue October 12 2010 19:11:29 Kelly Clowers wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 15:39, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > use plain desktop, disable akonadi, strigi and that stuff, forget
>> > activities, return to the standard icons on the desktop..
>>
>> Out of all the awesome things in KDE4 why would disable some of the
>> very best?
>
> People want to use Debian to get work done.  That stuff is
> "clever" but slow and irrelevant for 99% of users.

Akonadi and Strigi and similar technologies are critical to taking the desktop
to the next level of efficiency and effectiveness. Admittedly, that's
still in the
early stages, but it is clearly where we need to go.

As for Plasma, it allows for some pretty interesting things, it just remains
to be seen which ones will be cool and shiny and which ones will offer
fundamental improvements over the old standard (of course, that same is
true for alternate WMs (I use Awesome WM for good reason), but they don't
get the level of attention that KDE and Gnome do).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers