Re: KDE Question

On Tue October 12 2010 07:38:31 pm Mike Bird wrote:
> On Tue October 12 2010 19:11:29 Kelly Clowers wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 15:39, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > use plain desktop, disable akonadi, strigi and that stuff, forget
> > > activities, return to the standard icons on the desktop..
> >
> > Out of all the awesome things in KDE4 why would disable some of the
> > very best?
>
> People want to use Debian to get work done.  That stuff is
> "clever" but slow and irrelevant for 99% of users.
>
> Meanwhile, does anyone have any thoughts on the trade-offs
> involved in upgrading to the latest Trinity KDE 3.5.12?

I just installed it on squeeze last night so I haven't had much of a chance to
use it yet but it looks good to me. Haven't noticed anything in the way of a
trade-off. Everything I use seems to be here, k3b, krusader, amarok, kid3,
k9copy..

The only difference I have noted so far is that I can't right click the
message and folder view areas of kmail to change the columns, and the "K" in
kde in the logon splash is changed to a "T" for trinity I guess. Functionally
it seems to be much the same as kde 3.5.? always has. I'm impressed.

> We had intended to stay with official Debian KDE 3.5.5 as
> long as it was supported.  Is 3.5.12 worth evaluating at
> this stage or are most people planning to wait until Lenny
> and Debian KDE 3.5 are no more?

That was my plan too.. may not be needed anymore. You'll have to take a look
for yourself though.. :)