Re: [SOLVED] lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:20:46 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> If I recall correctly, you got farther with this one than you did
> with the one that had a missing initrd entry.  You were able to
> boot this one with a root file system override, whereas the one
> with the missing initrd entry would not boot at all.
> >>
> >> Now, with your indulgence, I'd like to suggest some
> >> further changes that will make your setup more robust.  For
> >> example, I notice that you have other kernels in your boot menu,
> >> such as 2.6.32-3.  This kernel currently will probably not boot.
> >> I suggest the following changes in /etc/lilo.conf:
> >
> > I see what you're doing here but I'm very reluctant to change a
> > working set-up.
>
> Right now, it's only a working setup for one kernel: 2.6.32-5-amd64.
> If you're not going to make these changes, you might as well
> de-install the other kernels.  They will not boot, so what good are
> they? What 2.6.32-5-amd64 calls /dev/sda is a PATA disk, which will be
> treated as /dev/hda by all the other kernels.

I got rid of the unused images because I really don't need them.

I put in all the UUID and dev/by-id changes and much to my relief the
system still boots !

> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> UUID=a948d6b6-8395-49a1-9f0f-21a10ceee9c2 / ext3
> defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1 # /dev/sda2       /
> ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
> UUID=4b764501-da53-4323-a751-3da37d7e2a91 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
> # /dev/sda3       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
> UUID=558d7790-5914-494d-938f-3387296eed45 none swap sw 0 0
> # /dev/sda4       none            swap    sw              0
> 0 ...

ok, I put this in too.  Is there any way to validate the fstab file so
that I know it's right ??  I mean other than umount and mount...

> I just did an upgrade yesterday and I noticed that new versions of
> the 71xx and 96xx legacy driver packages have been recently uploaded
> to the archive.  If your machine needs one of those driver packages,
> then the web page is out-of-date already.  :-(
>
> I will have to experiment with the new packages and revise the web
> page accordingly.  If you use the 173xx legacy or the current package,
> then the web page should (hopefully) still be current.

Haven't gotten this far yet, but I will.  It just doesn't feel right to
not have rolled my own kernel :-)

Brian

p.s. again, thank you.