Re: What is blocking my sound?

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 10:46:48 -0700
Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/24/10 09:21, T o n g wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:42:52 +0100, James Allsopp wrote:
> >
> >> I normally find that it's flash-related, so look for something like
> >> npviewer in the ps aux. Killing that normally resolves the problem.
> >
> > Yep, that's the trick for me as well.
> >
> > NB, it just "locks" it, not using it, so lsof won't list anything.
> >

> What is 'npviewer'?

Firefox's flash plugin.

> I do not seem to have it on my system and I can not determine what
> package it is in.
>
> mns@xander:~$ dpkg -S npviewer
> dpkg: *npviewer* not found.
<snippy>

Do you have esound installed?

What is in your .asoundrc file in your home dir, or
your /etc/asound.conf file?

Is your system 64bit, if so have you tried pulling in a newer
flashplugin-nonfree from backports?

or if you dont want todo that, try installing
flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User	PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97