Re: lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:06:43 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:10:53 -0400 (EDT), briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> >
> > I deleted one of the older images and when it finished I got this
> > mess:
> >
> > Could not find postrm hook script [lilo-update].
> > Looked in: '/bin', '/sbin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/sbin'
> > Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
> > Purging configuration files for linux-image-2.6.18-6-amd64 ...
> > Could not find postrm hook script [lilo-update].
> > Looked in: '/bin', '/sbin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/sbin'
> > Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
> >
> > clearly I did not follow Mr. Powells guide correctly.
> >
> > Fun project for the weekend.
> >

> Hello, Brian.  I have been following this thread, but I didn't want
> to respond until I tried it myself.  There is an important difference
> between specifying
>
>    root=/dev/sda2
>
> at the boot prompt versus supplying it in /etc/lilo.conf.  When you
> supply it on the command line at a boot prompt, I'm fairly sure that
> it passes that literal string to the kernel during boot.  But when
> you specify it in /etc/lilo.conf, lilo's map installer translates it
> into a four-digit hexadecimal number consisting of a two-digit major
> number and a two-digit minor number.  It is that number which gets
> passed to the kernel at boot time.  In your case it would be
>
>    root=802
>
> (The leading zero is suppressed.)  So it is theoretically possible
> that something changed in the kernel so that it does not correctly
> handle that type of root argument.  Having said that, however, I
> cannot reproduce your results using the latest stock Debian kernel for
> squeeze for the i386 architecture: linux-image-2.6.32-5-686, version
> 2.6.32-23.  Unless it is something specific to the amd64 architecture,
> which I doubt, I suspect that lilo didn't get run during the upgrade,
> as the above console log suggests.  The first thing to try is to
> manually run lilo, shutdown and reboot, and see if it fixes the
> problem.  If it does, then it's a pretty safe bet that lilo did not
> get run during the upgrade, or at least not at the right time.

I've run lilo and rebooted multiple times and always get the same
result.

> I suggest that you review
>
>    http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm#Customize
>
> for a more complete treatment of the topic.

I've been using that as my guide.

right now I'm thinking I've got something misconfigured, but what ??
Running lilo manually should fix whatever's going on and it most
certainly isn't.

Brian