Re: What pm-utils depends

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:25:58 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> Huh?  AFAIK, pm-utils never depended on HAL; it used to recommend it,
>> but it does not do this anymore.
>
> "pm-utils is the new suspend and powerstate setting framework. It is
> usually used by HAL to execute the various hacks. . . Both pm-suspend and
> pm-hibernate are usually called from HAL, initiated by desktop applets as
> gnome-power-manager or kpowersave... "

That says that HAL can use the pm-utils package. Not that pm-utils
depends on HAL. Systems without HAL installed can use other mechanisms
to call pm-utils, like acpi, udisks, udev, etc.

> "A key package for Lenny's power management is HAL (hal)which watches for
> ACPI events. . . The package pm-utils is a package of power management
> software. It stands between HAL and actually suspending the system..."
>
> So, what's the latest update on this?

That is referring to Gnome's power management on Lenny. It uses acpi,
pm-utils and hal. Squeeze may or may not do the same, I'm not sure.
But again, that says nothing about pm-utils needing HAL to work.
Merely that HAL is the mechanism used to watch for ACPI events, but
others are available to do that job as well.