Re: directly install RH packages using rpm instead of alien

T o n g wrote:
Hi, We all know that,
,-----
| On Debian and derived systems it is recommended to use "alien" to
| convert RPM packages into .deb format instead of bypassing the Debian
| package management system by installing them directly with rpm.
`-----

However, I'm wondering if it OK to install RH packages directly using rpm instead of going through alien convention. The reason that I'm asking is that, - I'm installing a preparatory sw. It is only available in RH/Suse rpm packages. - There is a complicated installation script (think of being more complicated than VMWare), and rpm installation is just one of its single line. - The only dependencies of the sw is actually JRE, so I'm hope I would avoid the infamous RH dependency hell.

But there is still one dependency there, and I don't know how to satisfy that.
Do you have any similar experiences?

Thanks

Yes - don't do it. ;-)

Consider putting the application in a virtual machine, or asking the supplier for a proper Debian port?

Berni