Re: directly install RH packages using rpm instead of alien

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 04:16:55 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> We all know that,
>
> ,-----
> | On Debian and derived systems it is recommended to use "alien" to |
> convert RPM packages into .deb format instead of bypassing the Debian |
> package management system by installing them directly with rpm. `-----
>
> However, I'm wondering if it OK to install RH packages directly using
> rpm instead of going through alien convention.

(...)

Smart package manager¹ was developed having that in mind, but I think
there is no direct (and clean) way to install rpm on deb systems (and
viceversa), so, why not follow the "alien" path being the recommended
one? :-?

¹ Does Smart's wide support for packaging systems mean I can install .rpm
packages on my Debian system? Or .deb packages on my RPM-based system?
http://labix.org/smart/faq#head-15e431ff69330db0ad3f078e2139c58ba7b00a4b

Greetings,

--
Camaleón