Re: ps - Illegal Instruction

On 20 September 2010 22:52, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
> On 9/20/2010 9:29 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>
>>  On 21/09/10 11:08, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Scott, but it looks like these links are for Virtual Machine
>>> running on Windows Server 2008.  I can't find anything on Windows 7's
>>> virtualization.
>>>

>> Hey - it was 4am here (at the time)! :-D
>> Yes, I noticed they were for WS2008 - it's what I could find, and where
>> I thought I'd find clues to the differences between VPC2007 and VPCW7.
>> Having endured the indignity of reboots, and (shudder) a validation
>> check, I'm just starting a VPC install as I type. Vm in a vm... wearing
>> gloves, no debugger running, honest, NOP, NOP, NOP ;-p
>> More  (hopefully) later...
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> I really do appreciate the work - especially at 4AM!
>
> I did get a little farther.  I stopped gdm and tried it from a command
> prompt; no change.  So I brought up gdb and found the illegal instruction is
> in libproc-3.2.7.so.
>
> Not knowing much about gdb, this is as far as I've gotten so far.  I need to
> look into it more to see how to display the appropriate disassembly.  Also,
> are debug versions of the modules (with symbols) available?
>
> And something I should have clarified earlier - much of Debian works. But
> there are a few things here and there which don't - but enough to be a show
> stopper.

There usually is a package with the same name as the one that provides
the lib, but with a -dbg suffix. This is the one that provides
debugging symbols.

I suggest that you do:

# aptitude install apt-file

# apt-file update
(takes a little while to download the necessary info)

# apt-file search libproc-3.2.7.so

and then installing the -dbg package found by apt-file.

Anyway, you could try reinstalling the package that provides said lib.
It is just one "aptitude reinstall" away. If you think that the
download might have been corrupted, delete the package from
/var/cache/apt/archives and reinstall.

Cheers,
Cassiano Leal