Re: Unicode Character key-in problem

On 2010-09-16 12:27:35 -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> Phil Requirements wrote:
> >>
> >>On the other hand, a method based on hexadecimal character codes
> >>can handle a lot more characters than you can memorize two-key
> >>combinations for, and ... [you] can use standard Unicode code
> >>point numbers for characters (which are also used in HTML,
> >>[etc.]).  the character in those other places; learning a hex code
> >>would.)
> >>

> >I agree with your point that the ability to enter hex codes would be
> >portable in a certain way. However, they are not mnemonic at all, and
> >are difficult to memorize.
> >
> >I was trying to address the very specific problem the original poster
> >had laid out. He had certain characters that he needed frequently,
> >which he had memorized the decimal ASCII code for. In that situation
> >(an average user who needs to enter some special characters now and
> >then) I still think that the two-letter mnemonic codes are an
> >improvement over memorizing decimal ASCII codes.
> >

> I didn't mean that GNU/Linux isn't improved because it adds the
> composition method (or that the composition is an improvement in many
> cases).  I just meant to point out that it wouldn't clearly be an
> improvement if Linux(/GTK/X11/etc.) had also dropped the numeric entry
> method.
>
> (I'm thinking of when Macintoshes first came out--they added (relative
> to typical computers of the day) the mouse, which was a big improvement
> in most cases, but they dumbly dropped the left and right arrow keys.
> That combination definitely was _not_ an improvement in cases such as
> correcting a typo a couple of characters back from the text cursor.)
>
> Daniel

Daniel,

I see what you mean, that it's good to have multiple input methods,
depending on what the user is accustomed to. Definitely agree.

One small point worth noting is that the traditional Windows method of
inputting special characters, going way back for decades, was to enter
the *decimal* ASCII code. So even though GNU/Linux has a method for
entering hex Unicode code points, a migrating user still has to learn
new tricks (convert decimal to hex, or memorize new hex codes).

Windows does have a way to enter Unicode code points, but I haven't
used it. I think it's safe to say that most Windows users with this
problem are accustomed to *decimal* ASCII codes.

Phil