Re: Unicode Character key-in problem

Phil Requirements wrote:
GNU/Linux has an *improved* method of inputting these special
characters.  In Windows, you have to memorize these four digit codes
that don't mean anything. In GNU/Linux, I memorize two-letter codes
that actually hint at the meaning.

On the other hand, a method based on hexadecimal character codes can
handle a lot more characters than you can memorize two-key combinations
for, and instead of using keyboard-layout-specific combinations, can use
standard Unicode code point numbers for characters (which are also used
in HTML, XML, JavaScript, Java, Ruby I think, and who know where else).
(That is, learning learning a multi-key compose combination for a
character won't help you when you want to enter the encoded form of
the character in those other places; learning a hex code would.)

An "improvment" over Windows would be giving you _both_ types of
methods.  (Then you can use the composition method for, say, common
characters, and can still use the numeric method when you need to.)

(From Celejar(?)'s Control-Shift-U comment, it sounds like Linux does
provide both types of methods.)

Daniel