Re: Unicode Character key-in problem

On 2010-09-10 18:56:03 -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> Phil Requirements wrote:
> >GNU/Linux has an *improved* method of inputting these special
> >characters.  In Windows, you have to memorize these four digit codes
> >that don't mean anything. In GNU/Linux, I memorize two-letter codes
> >that actually hint at the meaning.
>
> On the other hand, a method based on hexadecimal character codes can
> handle a lot more characters than you can memorize two-key combinations
> for, and instead of using keyboard-layout-specific combinations, can use
> standard Unicode code point numbers for characters (which are also used
> in HTML, XML, JavaScript, Java, Ruby I think, and who know where else).
> (That is, learning learning a multi-key compose combination for a
> character won't help you when you want to enter the encoded form of
> the character in those other places; learning a hex code would.)

I agree with your point that the ability to enter hex codes would be
portable in a certain way. However, they are not mnemonic at all, and
are difficult to memorize.

I was trying to address the very specific problem the original poster
had laid out. He had certain characters that he needed frequently,
which he had memorized the decimal ASCII code for. In that situation
(an average user who needs to enter some special characters now and
then) I still think that the two-letter mnemonic codes are an
improvement over memorizing decimal ASCII codes.

It's a good and valid point about working with Unicode codes. But my
email that you are quoting was written on a simpler level than that.