Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:49, Jens Stimpfle <jstimpfle@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 4:34 AM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> With 4GB I am never really memory constrained, and everything works
>> fine with 100+
>> tabs open continuously for days. It's hard to remember, but I don't
>> think I really had
>> too many problems when it was 1GB and something like 10-30 tabs...
>>

> Just because I'm curious.. What the heck would you ever do with a 100+
> tabs? It seems to be a bit that Mozilla should simply restrict the
> number of open tabs to a sane value like 10.

That would cause people like me to completely flip out. If they did that,
I would go to any lengths to fix it.  Even if they made an obfuscated
change deep in the C++ code, I would learn C++ just to fix it if no one
else figured it out and posted a patch. There is absolutely no way I
could work with 10 tabs. If I really had no choice, I maybe could get
by in 20, but I would hate it. With, say, 50, I could work without feeling
severely constrained.

I haven't not used session restore in, I don't know, 6+ months, but
when I do restart Moz without restoring, the first thing I do is open
2 bookmark sets, one is 9 tabs (slashdot, gmail, news, etc.), the
other is 19 (webcomics). Then I have a window with sysadmin stuff,
and a window full of blog posts that I read at one time or another,
and all sorts of misc. tabs opened here and there.

>Which would improve workflow and the stop of complaints about
>memory usage for quite a lot of users in my opinion. ;-)

In my experience, the really heavy tab users usually have no complaints
about memory usage. I certainly don't. Under a gig res and under 2 gigs
virt in a 4 gig system is very reasonable for the number of tabs I have open.
And as I said, it doesn't really increase beyond that, no matter how long I
leave all those tabs open, or open and close tabs.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers