Re: xine/xfmedia unable to play dvds

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:52:26 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

> Camaleón on 11/09/10 11:18, wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 10:47:05 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
>>> I should think it's not actually xine itself causing the problem, but
>>> rather something deeper in the media set-up.
>>
>> Try to play protected DVD with another player that has its own
>> implementation of libdvdcss2 (like VideoLan or SMPlayer) and see what
>> happens.
>>
>> Also, you can try to load the offending DVD from console to get the
>> error output.
>

> SMPlayer works fine.

Good.

> I just tried another DVD - I have to admit I have no idea whether it is
> encrypted - it's Hero by Miramax Films so I guess it is encrypted. But
> it works. xine plays it fine. Perhaps it's just not encrypted.
>
> But I used to play these DVDs fine, so something has regressed - as
> opposed to a new situation that I never tried.

Maybe you just hit in something your version of "libdvdcss" or "xine"
cannot handle :-?

> With the BBC DVD, this is the output I see from xine:
>
> adam@isengard:~$ xine
> This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.6cvs. (c) 2000-2007
> The xine Team.
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That seems to be the latest version available for "libdvdcss", so I would
think Xine has some kind of problem for playing this media.

(...)

> The libdvdcss version - shouldn't it be 2?

It varies, I guess.

At "debian-multimedia" repo you can find "libdvdcss2":

http://debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/libd/libdvdcss/libdvdcss.php

But VideoLan seems to name it "libdvdcss":

http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/1.2.10/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón