Re: Help on porting packages between Debian 5 lenny and Debian 4.0 etch

Hi, Ravy:

On Sunday 12 September 2010 11:12:54 Ravi Roy wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 12:58:15PM +0530, Ravi Roy wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > Could somebody help me as how to port pacakges between distributions

[...]

> Thanks Osamu for your quick response. My product is running using debian
> 4.0 etch version in production enviornment and needs bug fix releases from
> time to time.. though effort is already started to migrate to debian 5.0
> lenny.

Of course I'm no one to tell you how to support your product but wouldn't it
be easier both from the technical standpoint and from the commercial one to
stick to the policy saying "my product will be supported on a Debian version
for as long as that version is supported by Debian itself"?

I think that's a clear and understandable policy for the user, easy to track,
since Debian development is fully publicly avaliable, and with enough
maneouvre time, since there's one support year from a version being declared
Stable and the time support is dropped for the last but one on which to plan
a migration (i.e.: you knew Etch support was to be dropped by 14/FEB/2010
since 14/FEB/2009 and you already know Lenny support will be dropped around
the last quarter of 2011)?

Cheers.