Re: How to setup X fonts on Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze?

on Thu, 9 Sep 2010 17:27:42 -0600, Javier Vasquez <A...Q@mail.gmail.com>
attacked their terminal with
+On 9/9/10, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@Remember Kids, Dont Fullquote Emails!>
+wrote:
+> ...
+>
+> I have installed amongs others following fonts:
+> otf-freefont
+> ttf-freefont
+> ttf-unifont
+> xfonts-100dpi
[...]
+> xfonts-scalable
+> ttf-bitstream-vera
[...]
+> ttf-unifont
+>
+How do you know you're missing fonts?  I think /usr/share
+fonts/X11/misc, should include most othe ones non 100* and 75*, while
+most of the true type ones should be included under the defoma path.

fonts in /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/*.pcf.* are going to be ignored. By default.
By "design".

+Could you run "xlsfonts" under X, and see if you're missing any?

xlsfonts won't show the xfonts-* fonts until you fix something...

+fc-cache -fv

Should be enough...

HOWEVER... the problem is going to be a file called «no-bitmaps». it tells
fc-cache to /ignore/ binary fonts...

If you look at «/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf» you'll see the following:

-%<- 70-no-bitmaps.conf -%<-
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<!-- Reject bitmap fonts -->
 <selectfont>
  <rejectfont>
   <pattern>
   </pattern>
  </rejectfont>
 </selectfont>
</fontconfig>
-%<- 70-no-bitmaps.conf -%<-

Its just a link to ../conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf so you can safely delete
it. You can also /force/ bitmap fonts (xfonts) to show up by linking
70-force-bitmaps.conf into /etc/fonts/conf.d/ however you *dont* need to
because it won't ignore them anymore.

Make sure you remember to run fc-cache -fv as *root* in order to flush the
*system* cache. You /will/ have to restart your X environment in order for them
to show up.

--
Morgan Gangwere
Key ID A8B6F243, available from MIT.

Plate voltage too low on demodulator tube