where did my ata drives go?

Last weekend I did a bunch of updates (to testing) and rebooted after
almost six months.

Somewhere in that process the ata drive got UUIDs assigned to the
partitions and /etc/fstab was modified.

Now they won't mount.

I used to mount /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb5 but those don't exist anymore.
Using tune2fs I can access them as /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc5. The UUIDs
match what got written to /etc/fstab. I was able to assign labels to
them using tune2fs but they still refuse to mount.

How can I access those partitions?

--
Thus, there is not a single ill afflicting the nation for which
the government has not voluntarily made itself responsible. Is it