Re: new squeeze

Aaron Toponce wrote:
On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 10:30:35PM -0400, Doug wrote:
I just downloaded debian-testing i386 Net Inst and burned the
.iso onto disk.  Before I do something silly, I want to make sure
that this is designed to live with other os's on the hd. (I remember
one older version of Ubuntu that took over the drive, and wiped
everything else out.) If everything is copacetic, I'll put it
on my laptop along with Win XP and PcLinuxOs.  Please advise.
This isn't Ubuntu. :)
On the other hand it's close enough that the same advice applies:

1. Pay attention to partitioning - if you let the installer run on automatic, it will wipe your disk; on the other hand, depending on how your current partitioning scheme is set up, you may be able to preserve your current OS and user data, and create new partitions for the new installation -- it's very dependent on how things are set up now. Read up on disk partitioning and the advanced installer options.

2. The other thing you have to pay attention to is your boot configuration. Read up on how Grub works.

3. If you're just doing this to play with testing, consider installing Xen, KVM, or virtualbox on your current system, then running Debian as a virtual machine.

Miles Fidelman