Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> writes:
> Epiphany is (marginally) better than Iceweasel/Firefox. Internet
> browsing on GNU/Linux, frankly, just plain sucks -- I mean, it sucks up
> all my CPU and all my RAM, permanently. It also makes my machine(s)
> heat up and my fans roar like a fully loaded B-52.

My god, what on earth are you browsing?! (or are you running an ancient version?)

I use iceweasel at home and chromium at work.  Both work pretty well.

chromium (6.0.472.53) has the very nice "close a tab and get all its
memory back" feature which makes it useful on my relatively
memory-constrained work machine.  However it does tend to use more
memory than iceweasel while actually performing equivalent tasks, is
generally buggier, and some features are much creakier (see below).

Iceweasel (3.6.9) tends to grab memory and keep it (closing tabs may
free some memory, may not), but eventually reaches a stable point and
seems to do OK with memory once it reaches that (it may have long term
leaks, but I generally close my browser every few hours anyway).
It also has far superior [more functional, vastly faster] keyboard /
address-bar functionality (e.g., the "awesomebar" <cringe>) than
chromium, and generally feels quicker and more responsive.

Overall I'd say I prefer iceweasel, but the chromium tab implementation
make it a good choice in certain contexts.

-Miles

--
Quack, n. A murderer without a license.