Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On 2010-09-09 11:48 +0200, Miles Bader wrote:

> chromium (6.0.472.53) has the very nice "close a tab and get all its
> memory back" feature which makes it useful on my relatively
> memory-constrained work machine.  However it does tend to use more
> memory than iceweasel while actually performing equivalent tasks, is
> generally buggier, and some features are much creakier (see below).

If you want your memory back in Iceweasel when closing a tab, it is
possible to do this with the browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo¹ setting
in about:config.  Personally I find it very useful that accidental tab
closing can easily be undone.

> Iceweasel (3.6.9) tends to grab memory and keep it (closing tabs may
> free some memory, may not), but eventually reaches a stable point and
> seems to do OK with memory once it reaches that (it may have long term
> leaks, but I generally close my browser every few hours anyway).
> It also has far superior [more functional, vastly faster] keyboard /
> address-bar functionality (e.g., the "awesomebar" <cringe>) than
> chromium, and generally feels quicker and more responsive.

Really?  I haven't used Chromium that much yet, but it seems to display
web pages much faster than Iceweasel.  However, there are usability
issues: no way to quickly enable/disable Javascript, no equivalent to
about:config for instance.

Sven

¹ http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo